Monday, November 22, 2010

Unending Love

From across the hall I watched

Him like a hawk

Looking for mice

He did not notice me staring

Imagining myself in his warm embrace

I looked away, back at my locker

But I felt him

Felt his eyes boring holes in my skin

I heard only his voice and my heart

Saw only him and myself

Loved him,

And him alone

He walked across the hall

Towards me and I ran

My mouth in need of water

I ran

To my class,

But he was there,

Waiting for me

Waiting for me to notice him

There, in the back

During class, I heard not

The words the teacher spoke

A note was passed up

A note, a note for me

I opened it and read the poem

And ate the chocolate contained within

The note for me

I breathed his scent

Touched his words

And then I knew

That he loved me as well

Loved me like I loved him

I found a rose in the locker

That belonged to me

It had no tag or note

Nor a card to tell

Me who it was from

But I knew

I knew it was a gift from him

The one I loved

And the one who loved me also

In the park we watched each other

Hoping, praying we would be noticed

By the other person

Then we turned and kissed

Then, as one, we rose

And walked in the park

Together

We heard nothing

Saw nothing

Felt nothing

But each other

We married as soon as

Our parents would allow

For we loved each other greatly

And our love continued through the years

Until, one day, he died

A sudden death

And I grieved for him

And prayed for him

And hoped that somehow

Someway

He would return

But I knew that he would never

I would never see his face again

Never kiss his lips again

Never hold him yet again

But my love for him did not cease

Did not leave my heart

And I prayed for him every day

Put flowers on his grave

And he never left my thoughts

I suffered and I grieved

Wanting to be with him

Yet wanting to be here

And I swore I would never love another

I grew old and aged

Children and adults alike

Feared me calling me

A witch, all of them

All of them but one

A boy, so young and frail

Loved me and cared for me

When others would not

He comforted me when I felt

Heart broken and he gave me back

Something I had lost

A little piece of love

But it never all came back

And I too passed away

Went to join my husband

And, looking down from heaven

Pointed out to him,

That little boy who helped me

Helped me love again



This poem was inspired by the movie A Walk to Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment